Saturday, June 21, 2008

Catch up

Well I've been traveling in the south island so away from the computer, and access is going to be limited for awhile. I'm using a cyber cafe computer today! Let me get on with what has been happening in the last few days.
Very exciting that I did get out to Poor Knights on Friday! The weather was OK, but the weather out on the water is nothing like the weather on land. W had an issue with the original boat we were going to take out, so thank heavens we were upgraded to the large summer boat, complete with showers! The 50 minute ride out to Poor Knights was a test of composure. My biggest fear was the I would throw up, and a few of my ship mates came close! A good analogy for the ride would be like being on a roller coaster in a car wash! The boat would hike straight up in the air and coming crashing down!! Finally we arrived and anchored in an alcove for our first dive. The dive site took us along a ridge called the gentle forest, named so because of the gentle flowing seaweed under the surface that would swing in the current. A lot of various fish of all sizes. Past the wall was the biggest sea cave in the world Rikoriko beautiful! The fish were different in the cave and the water was filled with what I thought were tiny jellyfish, but I found out were sea combs, and no a jelly at all. The second dive took us to "middle Arch" filled with sea serpents, or morays! A lot of snappers, and fish of all colors!, This dive was a bit colder, even with the wet suit on. I was glad to get out of the water and take a hot shower to warm up. The ride home was much more pleasant and calmer. I sat on the top deck with a couple of Scottish bloaks watching the Poor Knights fade off the back of the boat. An awesome day!!

No comments: