Saturday, June 28, 2008

When they say Great they mean it!

Still no access to down load any pictures!
Entering the dramatic beauty of the Great Barrier Reef (GBR)is an extraordinary experience.From the moon the GBR is the only living structure visible on earth! It is a national treasure and also a World Heritage Site. The reef truly engages all your senses, lifts you up, and takes you into another realm. Sharing the wonder and creatures of the world's largest living entity, experiencing its breathtaking color and majesty is something I've wanted to do my whole life. Seeing nature at its most perfect is an awakening and quite simply a memory I'll hold for a lifetime. The friendly crew took us to a reef at the very edge of Auztralia's Continental Shelf to an underwater world that is a dazzling kaleidoscope of color and life.This particular reef is called Agincourt Reef. The scuba dive crew was awesome, and I have to admit I did have a bit of panic as we practiced the use of the air 2 regulators. But "no worries mate", the instructors were very good, and once you start swimming through that reef vibrating with hues, stripes and shimmerings of a myriad of fish and coral you forget everything (even to breath sometimes). Butterfly fish, parrot fish, angel fish and elegant nudibranchs dance before your eyes and coral gardens beckon you to explore. I got to touch a giant clam, pick up a sea cucumber, and run my hands through some spaghetti coral. Yes it feels like wet spaghetti. I spotted a Cuttle fish, which I was later told is rare on the reef. Clownfish snuggle into the embrace of sea anemones, and I swam through billowing clouds of neon colored damsel fish. Am I blabbing on to much? I can't help it, it was so incredible. Scuba diving can't last forever, only as long as you have air, so we did have to return to the real world above the waves. The boat offered a huge buffet lunch, then it was off to snorkel in the unique ribbon reef with its clear, pure water. It was a dream come true out on the reef, a day of discovery. The best day yet.

No comments: